Few Things to Know about One of the most beautiful wonders of the World – The Taj Mahal
The epitome of romance and an awe-inspiring architectural wonder, Taj Mahal is a beautiful place located in Agra. It was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in the memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal. The artwork on the white marble looks fantastic and it has a mystic charm that adds gorgeousness to it. If you have been to Taj Mahal, you definitely understand what I mean and if you have never been to this marvelous place, you must plan. Apart from the beauty of the building and the romance associated with Taj Mahal, there are few things that you must know about this place. Here we have some interesting facts about Taj Mahal. So, let us check out:
- Taj Mahal, the grandeur of architecture and romance was built with the effort and hard work of 22,000 people including the laborers, painters, stonecutters and the artists who made the carvings on marble.
- If the legends are to be believed, it is said that the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan wanted to build another similar marble building like the Taj Mahal in Black across the Yamuna River however his sons were not in favor of it. So the plan of building the other Taj Mahal in Black color was interrupted.
- It is said that Mumtaz Mahal had different moods and the Mausoleum also has similar characteristics. It changes its color like the moods of Mumtaz Mahal. In the morning the color of the mausoleum is pink and it turns milky while during the evening and at night it is golden with the illumination of moon.
- To complete the beautiful Taj Mahal with delicate and beautiful art work, it took around 17 years to get the wonderful building.
- The white dome at the centre of the mausoleum is beautiful and it is 35 meters in height. There are four other domes which are smaller in size and are on the four corners of the Taj Mahal. It is also the unique feature of the architecture of this beautiful monument.
- The beauty and unique charm of the Taj Mahal attracts millions of Indian as well as foreign tourists each year.
- There are many rumors related to the Taj Mahal and the most famous one is that the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan chopped off the hands of the artists who worked in making the Taj Mahal. He never wanted anyone else to make another fascinating building like the Taj Mahal again.
- As per the current standard of expenses, it would cost $100 USD to Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan to make the Taj Mahal, if he planned to make it at present.
- According to the past stories, it is believed that it took 1000 elephants to transport the materials of construction to the site of construction while the Taj Mahal was being built.
- It is said that during the Indian rebellion of 1857, the precious stones of the Taj Mahal were ripped off by the British Army.
- There is no set timings for the visiting hours of Taj mahal. The Taj Mahal will be opened every day 30 to45 minutes before the sun rises. The main gate is closed almost 30 minutes before the setting of the sun each day. One need to keep a note that this Taj Mahal will always remain close for public visit on Fridays everyweek.
- Photography is allowed inside the premise of Taj Mahal but will not be allowed inside the mausoleum. Use of tripods is strictly prohibited.
- While entering the main premise of the Taj Mahal you need to either cover your shoes or go naked feet
- If you are an Indian National then you the entry fee will be Rs.50 and for the main Mausoleum it will be Rs.200 per person. For the foreign nationals wishing to visit the Taj Mahal, the entry fee will be Rs.1100 per person.
- Every year more than 12000 visitors come to visit this amazing wonders of the world not only from India but also from different parts of the world.
- One of the best time for visiting the Taj mahal will either during the Sun Rise or during the Sun set period. The main reason behind this is that the view of the Taj Mahal during these 2 periods in mesmerizingly beautiful and breathtaking.
- One of the best seasons to visit Taj Mahal will be between October to March. During this period the weather is bit soothing.
- The nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore described the beauty of The Taj Mahal as ‘a teardrop on the cheek of the universe’. On the other hand Rudyard Kipling mentioned it as ‘the embodiment of all things pure’.
If you are interested to know more in detail about different unknown facts about this Taj Mahal in depth then we will recommend you to read historic books penned down by notable writers on the Suibject : The Taj Mahal. We are sure that will fulfill your thirst about knowing the history of the iconic beauty well. If you want you can hire authorized guide found near the gate of Taj Mahal to explain every bit of this beautiful monument and its history. The guides are trained enough and have authorized ID cards with them which you can ask to show for doubt clearing. The best part of hiring the guides is that they are given proper training on the subject of Taj Mahal. If you are a foreign national and wondering if the guides can actually explain you the history well then don’t worry much. The guides are capable to speak in multiple languages including different foreign languages. Special attention is given by them for foreign nationals as in India we consider guests as “ Athithi Devo Bhava”. It means guest is a god to us. It can be a great weekend trip for you if you are residing in and around the city of Agra.