8 Attractive Hill Stations In Northern India
Posted On September 21st, 2023
The Northern part of India is home to a captivating array of hill stations, adding to the country’s already abundant natural beauty. Northern India, is known to be the land of several hill stations that can act as great getaways for the people in and around Delhi. The Northern region of India is home to a variety of enchanting hill stations, spanning from the foothills of the Himalayas to the Aravallis. From the majestic mountains of the Himalayas to the lush green valleys, there are hundreds of places you can visit.
The 2 most popular places in India that should be on your Bucket list are Uttarakhand & Himachal Pradesh. Both these states are known for offering amazing summer holiday destinations for people across India and abroad too. Apart from these 2 famous places in India, northern India offers vast places for your honeymoon visit, trekking, hangouts with friends, and many more. We are presenting a list of 8 attractive Hill Stations of Northern India that are worth visiting. Prepare yourself for your next trip to these best north Indian places.
What Are The Top Hill Stations To Visit In Northern India?
When it comes to planning a trip or vacation to the hills, Northern India offers a plethora of options that are sure to captivate your senses. From the incomparable beauty of the Himalayas to the lush sylvan valleys, the northern part of the sub-continent offers countless hill stations to explore and visit. Every place has its own unique sights, activities, and events for all types of travelers. The top hill stations to visit in Northern India are: Nainital, Shimla, Manali, Almora, Dharamshala, Srinagar, Mount Abu and Mussoorie.
- Nainital: Nainital name is derived from the picturesque Naini Lake Nainital. It is an amazing hill station located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand and is the headquarters of the Nainital district. Surrounded by lush green hills, this pear-shaped lake offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. This popular hill station also offers breathtaking mountain views. The best time to visit Nainital is in between March to May & December to February.
The major outings in Nainital are: The Mall Road, Snow View Point, Naina Devi Temple, Tiffin Top, and Nainital Zoo.
2. Shimla: Shimla is a beautiful hill station located in majestic Northern India and is also known as the “Queen of Hill Stations”. It is a popular and iconic hill station with outstanding and mesmerizing beauty. What truly sets Shimla apart from other hill stations is its colonial charm, reminiscent of the British era. You can enjoy the ride on the toy train between Kalka and Shimla and you will get the chance to explore the true beauty of snow-capped peaks, dense forests, and cascading waterfalls. The best time to visit Shimla is in May to June and mid-December.
The major outings in Nainital are The Ridge and Mall Road, The Shimla State Museum and Ski Resorts,
3. Manali: For adventure seekers and nature lovers alike, Manali has something to offer everyone. It is a picturesque hill station that is nestled in between the mountains of the state of Himachal Pradesh. This hill station enchants tourists with its awe-inspiring scenery and peaceful ambiance. The stunning snow-capped mountains, shimmering rivers, and verdant valleys create an irresistible allure that captivates all who visit. The best time to visit Manali is in April to July.
The major outings in Manali are: Rohtang Pass, Solang Valley, Jogini Falls and The Mall Road.
4. Almora: If you love hills, then Almora is one such destination that you must visit at least once in a lifetime. This hill station is located in the district of Uttarakhand. Almora is popular for its exceptional beauty offering a panoramic view Himalayas. There are many temples which are located in this hill station which you will love visiting. Almora is a perfect hill station to visit with your family and friends. The best time to visit Almora is from April to November.
The major outings in Almora are Kasar Devi Temple, Chitai GoluDevta Temple, Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary and Panchchuli.
5. Dharamshala: This hill station is located in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. It acts as a gateway to the Kangra Valley. You will get the chance to explore many ancient temples, churches as well as monasteries apart from enjoying the mountain views of this place. It is also an ideal place that you can visit for your honeymoon. The best time to visit Dharamshala is in March to July.
The major outings in Dharamshala are Namgyal Monastery, Bhagsu Nag, Tea Garden, and McLeodganj.
6. Srinagar: Words will fall short if we try to explain the beauty of Srinagar. It’s a god’s city located in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is located by the side of Jhelum River, which is a tributary of the River Indus, as well as the Dal and Anchar lakes. Make sure to enjoy your ride on the beautifully crafted houseboats. The region is heaven on earth, with its cool climate, crystal clear waters, and breathtaking views. The best time to visit Srinagar is from October to April.
The major outings in Srinagar are Dal Lake, Mughal Gardens, Shalimar Bagh, Meadow of Flowers, and Nishat Bagh.
7. Mount Abu: Mount Abu is one of the popular hill stations located in the Aravalli Range of Sirohi district in the Indian state of Rajasthan. This is only one hill station in India which is located in hot Rajasthan deserts but will offer you a great retreat. The Hill Station is renowned for offering a wide variety of activities, from shopping, sightseeing, boating, trekking, and wildlife watching. The best time to visit Mount Abu is from November to March.
The major outings in Mount Abu are Nakki Lake, Dilwara Temples, Guru Shikhar, Toad Rock track, and Adhar Devi Temple.
8. Mussoorie: Mussoorie is one of the most visited hill stations of Dehradun district which is again a part of Uttarakhand State. This Hill station is located at the top of the Garhwal Mountains having an altitude of 1880 m. This charming destination attracts travelers with its panoramic vistas, lush green hills, and pleasant climate. The best time to visit Mussoorie is from March to July.
The major outings in Mussoorie are Kempty Fall, Nag Tibba Trek, Gun Hill and Mussoorie Wildlife Sanctuary.
Romantic Getaways In The Picturesque Hill Stations Of Northern India
Northern India is a haven for couples seeking a romantic retreat. Imagine waking up to awe-inspiring views of snow-capped peaks, exploring verdant valleys hand-in-hand, and indulging in intimate moments beside charming mountain lakes. From the captivating town of Shimla to the serene beauty of Mussoorie, these hill stations exude an irresistible sense of romance that is simply impossible to resist. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful holiday or an adventurous experience filled with thrilling activities, these hill stations have something to offer for everyone.
Experience the beauty of nature and revel in the joys of being in love. Delight in the enchanting valley vistas with your beloved, immortalizing your love amidst jaw-dropping sunsets against a serene mountainous panorama. As night blankets the land, unwind by a cozy fire, creating cherished moments while stargazing at the velvety sky above.
Adventure Activities And Trekking Trails In Northern India’s Hill Stations
Many hill stations in the Northern region boast awe-inspiring and magnificent vistas of the surrounding landscapes. These hill stations serve as tranquil retreats from the chaotic urban life, providing an opportunity to embark on renowned trekking trails and thrilling adventure pursuits. Hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, and paragliding are among the favored activities in these hill stations, as their mountainous terrain offers ideal settings for such exhilarating experiences.
In addition to hiking, there are opportunities to engage in thrilling adventure activities like rock climbing, rappelling, and ziplining along these trails. The majority of these paths provide stunning vistas of the valley, vibrant green scenery, and an exceptional chance to immerse oneself in the region’s diverse plant and animal life.
Snowfall And Winter Vacations In Northern India’s Charming Hill Stations
During winter months, many of these hill stations are blanketed in a beautiful white layer of snow, making them even more beautiful and inviting. In winter, you can witness breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains and indulge in thrilling adventures like skiing and ice skating. Winter is the perfect time to visit Northern India’s charming hill stations. We are sure that you will have an unforgettable experience during the winter months. If you are planning to visit the hill stations, plan it in the winter.
Offbeat And Lesser-known Hill Stations In Northern India
Northern India has lots to offer. From hidden hill stations to unexplored trekking opportunities. Escape the tourist crowds of Manali and Shimla by embarking on a unique journey to hidden gems like Chopta in Uttarakhand or Khajjiar in Himachal Pradesh. With many temples to explore, this hidden gem even hosts a challenging trekking route in the nearby mountain ranges. So if you want to avoid crowded places and want to experience a calming place, then plan your trip to these places.
The Hill Stations offer a range of activities, such as trekking, hiking, camping, bird watching, paragliding, skiing, and more.
These hill stations are well-connected by road and can be reached by private cars or buses.
Posted on November 7th, 2023
“Getting an inch of snow is like winning 10 cents in the lottery”, said Bill Watterson. Everyone wants to go to a hill station once in a lifetime and...Read More →