Which Month is Best for Kedarnath Yatra
Kedarnath, a sacred pilgrimage site nestled amidst the Himalayas, is a popular destination for devotees seeking blessings and peace. However, before embarking on this journey, it’s essential to know which month is best for Kedarnath yatra.
Which Month is Best for Kedarnath Yatra
If you’re planning a pilgrimage to Kedarnath Dham, one of the Char Dham destinations in India, it’s important to choose the right time to go. The Kedarnath Yatra is a spiritual journey, but it’s also a physical one, with challenges such as altitude sickness and unpredictable weather.
Where to Visit in Kedarnath & When
Kedarnath offers various places to visit, depending on the season. The Kedarnath temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is the primary attraction and is open from April to November.
The trek to Kedarnath is challenging, but it’s an experience that’s worth the effort.
Other places to visit in Kedarnath include Bhairav Nath Temple, Gandhi Sarovar, and Vasuki Tal. These places are best visited between April to June and September to November.
Things To Do in Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand is a haven for nature lovers, thrill seekers, and spiritual seekers. Uttarakhand has something for everyone, whether you want a peaceful getaway or an adrenaline-fueled adventure. Here are some of the top things to do in Uttarakhand:
- Trekking: Uttarakhand has some of the most beautiful trekking routes in India. From the popular Roopkund trek to the challenging Nanda Devi trek, there is something for trekkers of all levels.
- Wildlife Safari: The state is home to several national parks and wildlife reserves, including Jim Corbett National Park and Rajaji National Park. Embark on a wildlife safari to spot tigers, leopards, elephants, and other exotic wildlife.
- Pilgrimage: Uttarakhand is known as the “Land of Gods” and is home to several important pilgrimage sites, including the Char Dham Yatra, Kedarnath Yatra, and Badrinath Yatra.
- Adventure Sports: The state offers a range of adventure sports, including river rafting, bungee jumping, and paragliding.
- Sightseeing: Uttarakhand is home to several scenic destinations, including Mussoorie, Nainital, and Rishikesh. Explore the scenic beauty of the state by taking a leisurely drive through the mountains or going on a day trip.
Kedarnath in Summer – From April till June
Summer is the best time to visit Kedarnath. The weather is nice and the skies are clear, making it ideal for hiking and sightseeing. The temperature ranges from 15°C to 30°C during this time, and you can enjoy the scenic beauty of the region.
Summer in Kedarnath – From April to June
The temperature in Kedarnath during the summer months ranges from 15°C to 30°C. The weather is nice and the skies are clear, making it ideal for hiking and sightseeing.
Kedarnath in the Monsoon – July to September
Kedarnath’s monsoon season begins in July and lasts until September. The region receives moderate to heavy rainfall during this time, and the trek to Kedarnath is closed. However, if you’re a nature lover, this is the best time to witness the lush greenery and waterfalls in the region.
Kedarnath Temperature in Monsoon
The temperature in Kedarnath during the monsoon season ranges from 10°C to 25°C. The region receives moderate to heavy rainfall during this time, and the trek to Kedarnath is closed.
Winter in Kedarnath – October to March
Kedarnath’s winter season begins in October and lasts until March.The region receives heavy snowfall, and the temperatures drop to sub-zero levels. However, if you’re an adventure enthusiast, this is the best time to go skiing or snowboarding in the region.
Why visit Kedarnath?
Kedarnath is one of the most revered Hindu shrines in India and is known for its religious significance. It is believed that Lord Shiva resides here in the form of a lingam, which is located in the Kedarnath Temple.
The temple is situated at an altitude of 3,583 meters above sea level, amidst the majestic Himalayas. The breathtaking views of the snow-capped mountains, the glistening rivers, and the serene environment make Kedarnath a must-visit destination.
Apart from its religious significance, Kedarnath also offers trekkers and adventure enthusiasts a chance to explore the scenic beauty of the Himalayas. The trek to Kedarnath is a challenging yet rewarding experience that takes you through picturesque valleys and serene meadows.
Things to know before you visit Kedarnath
- Weather: The weather in Kedarnath is unpredictable and can change rapidly. It is best to check the weather forecast before embarking on your journey.
- Altitude sickness: Kedarnath is situated at a high altitude, and visitors may experience altitude sickness. It is advisable to acclimatize yourself for a few days before starting your trek.
- Trekking gear: Proper trekking gear, including warm clothing, sturdy shoes, and a good quality backpack, is essential for the Kedarnath trek.
- Accommodation: Accommodation options in Kedarnath are limited, and it is advisable to book your stay in advance.
- Permits: Visitors need to obtain permits from the local authorities before starting their trek to Kedarnath.
The best time to visit Kedarnath is between April to June and September to November.
The monsoon season, which starts in July and lasts until early September, can make the journey to Kedarnath dangerous due to landslides and flash floods. It’s best to avoid the Yatra during this time.
During peak season (May to June), the temperature in Kedarnath ranges from 5 to 18 degrees Celsius. During the off-season (September to October), the temperature ranges from -5 to 10 degrees Celsius.
You should pack warm clothes, comfortable shoes, a raincoat or umbrella, sunscreen, and medication for altitude sickness.
Yes, there is a medical facility available in Kedarnath, but it’s best to carry your own medication and first-aid kit.