Visit World Famous Lotus Temple in Delhi
Visiting Lotus Temple in Delhi is more of a spiritual experience than a religious one. Lotus Temple is not a temple that is dedicated to a god or goddess. It does not have any idols or sculptures. If you enter Lotus Temple, you will enter a big prayer hall with various seating benches. There are no statues of any kind here. Just a big space where you can enjoy meditating in peace and praying to the gods. Lotus Temple looks like a lotus flower from the outside. This is one of the best tourist sightseeing places in Delhi. It is also famous around the whole world for its spectacular architecture. It is just as famous as the Qutub Minar, Akshardham Temple, or Red Fort in Delhi.
Lotus Temple – a Baháʼí House of Worship
You may be surprised to see that there are no idols of any god in the Lotus Temple. You will not see any idols or paintings or goddesses either. There are only prayer halls where you can pray and meditate. Lotus Temple is a temple that is built for the Bahai religion. Bahai people believe that all the gods are the same and all religions are equal. People from all castes can enter Lotus Temple. It does not matter whether you are a Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Muslim, or Tamil. You will not see any pujaris or Catholic priests giving any lectures or sing devotional songs loudly. Instead of this, you will see volunteers sing prayers from different religions. There is not a single musical instrument such as drums, cymbals, or any such things in the Lotus Temple.
The architecture of Lotus Temple
The most beautiful thing about Lotus Temple is its spectacular architecture. When you view Lotus Temple from a distance you feel like you are viewing a lotus flower. Marble stone was used in Greece to build the Lotus Temple. 27 marble petals make the outer structure of the Lotus Temple. When you see the marble petals closely, you will make out that three petals make a set. There are nine such sets. When you go inside Lotus Temple you enter a prayer hall with many benches for seating.
There are ponds of water below this structure of Lotus Temple. There are 9 such pools. The pool waters help cool the structure and interiors of Lotus Temple. Even during hot summers, the interiors are cool because of these nine ponds. The top of this temple is also open and it allows natural sunlight to pass through. The natural sunlight and cool breeze help keep the interiors illuminated and airy.
The construction of Lotus Temple was completed in the year 1986. When it was opened to the public, it instantly became the top tourist attraction of Delhi. 4 million tourists have visited it up till now. It has won so many national and international awards due to its striking architecture and design. It is a superb structure with magnificent architecture and beauty. You will still find an article published on Lotus Temple in a major magazine or newspaper.
What activities to do at Lotus Temple?
Adults and children can do so many activities at the Lotus Temple. The various activities that you can do at Lotus Temple are mentioned below.
- Take a Guided tour: You can ask the volunteers to guide you through the Conference Hall and tell you a bit about the Lotus Temple. You can watch short films about the Bahai faith and learn more about the Lotus Temple. The movies are shown every 20 minutes from 10.30 am to 5.30 pm.
- Get details at the Information Centre: You can learn more about the Bahai faith at the Information Centre. There are photo panels, textual information, and showreels that you can view here.
- Attend a prayer service: In a typical prayer service, you will participate in reading sessions where volunteers read out from the Holy Scriptures. Prayers are chanted from different religions at these meetings. The prayer service can last 10 to 15 minutes.
- Visit a pool-side exhibition: You can also attend a poolside exhibit and learn more about the Bahai Lotus Temple.
- View the architecture closely: You can walk on the walkways and bridges which surround the Lotus Temple. The view of the nine pools is very beautiful.
- Learn in the classes & meetings: Lotus Temple also conducts children’s classes and youth sessions that develop the spiritual and intellectual abilities of the children and teenagers. Bahai teachings are taught during meetings.
Best time to visit Lotus Temple
You should visit the Lotus Temple during the winter season. The months from October to March are best for sightseeing around Lotus Temple. You should visit Lotus Temple during evening hours as the floodlights illuminate the entire Lotus Temple with colored lights. Mornings are also best for visiting Lotus Temple.
Tips for visiting Lotus Temple
Some tips for visiting the Lotus Temple can be very helpful to you.
- Maintain silence and do not make any noise during prayer sessions.
- Do not leave prayer halls when prayers are going on.
- Remove your shoes before you enter.
- Remember that you may have to wait in a long queue.
- Photography is allowed at Lotus Temple.
How to reach Lotus Temple Delhi?
Lotus Temple is very close to Kalkaji Metro Station. Lotus Temple is 1 km from the metro station. You can walk to the temple or take a local auto to reach Lotus Temple. Nehru Place is also close to Lotus Temple.
Attractions that you can visit near Lotus Temple
- ISKCON Temple
- Shri Kalka Ji Temple
- Okhla Bird Sanctuary
- Lodhi Garden
- Safdarjung Tomb
- Delhi Haat
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah
- Kale Khan ka Makbara
- Worlds of Wonder (Amusement Park)
- Hauz Khas Village
Delhi City Tour – Lotus Temple FAQ
There are no entry fees to enter Lotus Temple. The temple is closed on Mondays. Rest all days (Tuesday to Sundays) it is open to the public.
Lotus Temple is not dedicated to any single god or goddess. People from all castes and religions are free to enter Lotus Temple.
You can only visit Lotus Temple from 9 am to 7 pm in the summer season. Lotus Temple is open from 9 am to 5.30 pm during wintertime. You cannot enter Lotus Temple after 6.30 in summer and 5 pm in winter.