If you are looking for a picturesque destination in India then Shimla will be definitely one among them and attracts tourists in large numbers from different parts of the globe. Besides being a popular tourist’s destination this place is also known to be one of the homes to some of the most beautiful churches and chapels of the world. It is also quite popular for its brilliant Viceregal Lodge. There are some very interesting facts about the historical residence of then Viceroy of British India which are still unknown to many.
1. The Viceregal Lodge used to be the home of Viceroy for the period between 1888 to 1946: The residence layout was planned by Henry Irwin who was also the man behind the designing of the famous Mysore Palace. It was in the year 1880 when the construction of the project was started and Lord Dufferin being the then Viceroy of India occupied the house in the year 1888. He was ruling the Indian Sub continent right from Shimla and from this house.
2. Second Indian President handed the home to Ministry of Education: Rashtrapati Niwas was the name given to this house after Indian Independence. Indian 2nd President Dr S Radhakrishnan found that he was using the residence for only few days annually and believed that it would be better to use it for some good purpose. He handed the house for educational use to the Ministry of Education in the year 1964. In 1965 the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies was opened in this house.
3. The house is built on the 2nd highest point of Shimla, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies: Jakhoo Hill is definitely the highest point of Shimla, but the Observatory Hill was a preferred choice for building the house. The hill got leveled and flattened for house construction and use of Light blue limestone as well as grey sandstone made for its construction.
4. Indoor tennis court is there in the house: While construction the house the British used some of the latest technology for building the house to make it ultra modern. Many dont know that this house is having an Indoor tennis court along with a wine cellar.
5. Father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi visited this house 4 times: 25 years invested by Mahatma Gandhi for Indian Independence negotiation forced him to visit this house 4 times in this period for discussion with Viceroy of India. But such effort did not help in getting Independence and was failed badly.
Like the above 5 unknown facts there are many other information about this house which is still unknown to many of the people. If you are planning for a trip this vacation to Shimla then we will suggest you to visit this spot for sure and know about the history of this place in details for the guides over there. We are sure that you are going to love knowing in detail about Viceregal Lodge.