In Eastern Delhi, Swaminarayana Akshardham is known to be one of the most sacred temples of India in recent time. This well known temple is situated at the bank of Yamuna and it is quite near to the famous Nizamuddin Link. The temple is an excellent example of ancient Indian lifestyle. This famous Hindu Temple is fully dedicated to Master Swaminarayan. The architecture of this temple has been designed by Bochasanvaasi Aksharpurusshottama Swamiynarayana Sansthana. The meaning of Akshardham is everlasting and it is known as the blissful residence of the God.
Spiritual significance of Akshardham
Every part of this ancient temple shows the sign of spirituality. There are more than two hundred murtis which describes the holiness of the temple. When you will visit Akshardham, you will notice that how your soul will get enriched after you pray here to almighty god in this temple.
Facts to be known
Once you plan to visit Akshardham Temple, it is necessary to know required facts about this sacred temple.
- The temple was inaugurated on 6th November, 2005. HH Yogi Maharaj, (1892 to 1971)was inspired to establish this temple.
- This is really surprising to notice that over 8000 volunteers took part in constructing this temple.
- The temple has been built with sandstone and marble
- Within the temple, the visitors will observe the exhibitions on Hinduism, life and teachings of Bhagwan Swaminaryan, prayer, etc.
- Apart from the exhibition and the calm atmosphere within the temple, you will also be able to enjoy the beauty of open garden, courtyard and water bodies here.
Places to explore within the temple area
There are varied parts within the temple and once you plan to visit the temple you should not miss any of these areas.
- Mandir: The main attraction of this temple is akshardham Mandir. The architecture of this mandir pays homage to the traditional Hindu Architecture. There are 234 carved pillars and 9 elaborate domes. Here you can also observe 20000 statues of reputed Hindu personalities. The height of the Mandir is 141.30 feet and it has a span of 316 feet width and has a length of 356 feet.
- Garbhagruh: The Garbhgruh or personal workroom of the Akshardham Temple is another prime attraction of this Mandir.
- The Mandapams: This is really nice to notice the nine Mandapams within the Temple. These Mandapams are flawless examples of intellectual interiors of the temple. These mandapams are nicely engraved with varied murtis and nicely designed pillars. The ceilings have also been designed in a unique manner.
- Mandovar: Mandovar is the external appearance of any traditional temple. The mandovar of Akshardham Temple is the largest one within India. The height of Mandovar is 25 feet and it spread to 611 feet. The entire area is caved with stone figures of respected Hindu Rishis and devotees.
Apart from those above, there are Narayan Peeth, Narayan Sarovar and Gajendra Peeth which are also great attractions of this temple.
Well, if you are interested to visit this Hindu Temple, you also need to know the timing and rules and regulations implemented by this temple. The temple remains open from 9.30 am to 8 pm and the time for Aarti is 10 am and 6 pm.